Thoughtful, Experienced Criminal Defense
Russ Hunt, JR.
- Criminal Defense
- Domestic Abuse
- Drug Charges
- Federal Criminal Defense
- Computer Crimes
- Probation Violations
- Sex Crimes
- Theft & Shoplifting
- Weapons Charges
- White Collar Offenses
Attorney Russ Hunt, Jr. brings a unique and personalized approach to criminal defense, speaking and working one-on-one with each and every client. He strives to address the stresses and concerns the accused face, while diligently working toward best possible case outcomes. If you or a loved one calls seeking representation, know that you'll speak directly with Russ about the situation at hand. There is never a charge for an initial consultation with Mr. Hunt; he will share information and options that may make your road a bit smoother.
Mr. Hunt has represented the criminally accused since 1994, with over 23 years of experience in Central Texas State, County and Federal courts. He is actively engaged in the criminal defense associations such as the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL), the Austin Criminal Defense Lawyers Association (ACDLA), and the Williamson County Criminal Lawyers Association (WCCDLA). From 2006-2007, he served as Presiding Director of ACDLA; from 2012-2014, Hunt was a founding Vice President of the WCCDLA.
Russ is a very active criminal trial lawyer, having tried dozens of jury trials throughout Central Texas in both state and federal courts, and across the state in locations like Hillsboro, San Angelo and Del Rio.
Hunt has been a proud recipient of the prestigious Superlawyers award, and has been an annual recipient of this designation since 2008. Since 2009, he has enjoyed the highest possible Martindale-Hubbard "AV" rating, an honor bestowed by his attorney peers.
Honors and Awards
Mr. Hunt keeps his legal skills sharp and relevant by regularly attending training seminars, and frequently shares his experience as a seminar speaker as well. He is a member of the prestigious College of the State Bar of Texas because of the tremendous number of criminal law seminars he attends.
Continuing Legal Education
Russ Hunt, Jr. has been licensed to practice law in Texas since 1994, and in the U.S. Western District Court since 1995. In 1996, he was certified for practice in the U.S. 5th Circuit Court of Appeals; in 1998, Hunt was designated to practice in the U.S. Supreme Court.
Mr. Hunt is a native of Waco, Texas. His father, Russell Hunt, Sr., is also a criminal defense attorney who has been representing clients in Waco and surrounding areas since 1977.
- The University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas
- Juris Doctor - 1994
- Austin College, Sherman, Texas
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts - 1991
- Honors: 1993, Fall semester spent at College of Queen Mary and Westerfield (now part of the University of London system) studying international law
- Major: Philosophy
- Texas, 1994
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas, 1995
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1996
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1998
- Waco McLennan County Bar Association, Member
- Travis County Bar Association, Member
- Williamson County Bar Association, Member
- Federal Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- College of the State Bar of Texas, Member
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Board member, 2008-2009
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- Austin Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Presiding director, 2006 to 2007
- Williamson County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Founding Vice President, 2012-2014
- Williamson County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, President, 2015-2016
- Williamson County Criminal Lawyers Association, 2012 to 2014
- SuperLawyer, 2008 - 2017
- Martindale-Hubbell “AV” peer review rating, 2009 - 2017
Classes & Seminars
- Guest Lecturer, Baylor Law School, 1995 to 1995
- “Probation Revocations” for ACDLA “Nuts and Bolts Seminar”, 2008
- “Challenging and Litigating Inventory Searches” for Austin CDLA Friday Lunch Seminar, 2008
- “Challenging and Litigating Inventory Searches” for McLennan CDLA Friday Lunch Seminar, 2009
- “Trying a Death Penalty Case” for Williamson CLDA Lunch Seminar, 2014
- “Legislative Update” Williamson CLDA Lunch Seminar, 2015
- “Developing a Theory of the Case” Austin Bar Association/CAPDS Capital Murder Defense Seminar, 2016
- Effective General Voir Dire in Capital Cases, Capital Defense College-A Program for the Defense, 03/20/2018
Fraternities or Sororities
- Rho Lambda Theta
Certified Legal Specialties
- Board Certified in Criminal Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2000-present