Choosing a Georgetown
Criminal Defense Lawyer
How do you go about choosing an attorney to defend you from criminal accusations? Criminal charges, especially in tough-on-crime Williamson county, are a frightening and bewildering experience. You need a representative who will be truthful and honest with you, even if that means giving you bad news. You need a lawyer who will work to explore every possible option for the best possible outcome of your csae. You need an attorney who has every possible skill to help you in your case, and who is willing to use those skills on your behalf.
The truth is that many lawyers are unwilling or unable to take a case to trial. Do you really want a lawyer who either cannot or will not use this most powerful tool in the lawyer’s toolbox? Don’t you think that the prosecutors know which of their opponents won’t stand up to them in court? Don’t you think that might have an effect on negotiated settlement offers?
Every lawyer will tell you that they will work hard for you and work out the best deal they can. How do you know whether they are telling you the truth, and not just trying to get your hard-earned money? Start by asking basic questions to ensure that the lawyer you are interviewing really has your interests and not just their business interests at heart.:
- How do you approach your cases?
- Do you look to cut a deal first or do you first look for a way to get the case dismissed?
- What legal maneuvers do you think there might be in my case that will help me?
- What are the range of likely outcomes for my case?
- How much do you charge for a dismissal or a negotiated settlement or a trial?
- Are there any hidden fees?
- Do you make me pay up front for a trial even though I might not want a trial?
- Will you return the trial portion of the fee if we don’t go to trial?
- If my case does need to be tried, will you charge me an exorbitant additional fee for the trial?
- Is your exorbitant trial fee just a ploy so that you can avoid having to go to trial, or does it somehow reflect your particularly significant trial ability?
- If I can’t pay your exorbitant trial fee all at once, will you just drop me as a client?
- How many clients have you dropped or withdrawn from in the last six months? The last year?
- How many cases have you taken to trial in the last 5 years? 10 years? 20 years?
There are many professional, honest and hardworking criminal defense lawyers in Central Texas. Do your homework and be sure that whomever you hire is one of them.
Russ Hunt, Jr. will be honest and up front with you about your case starting at the initial interview. His fee structure is clear and not designed to avoid trial or to punish you for seeking a trial. There are no hidden fees, and everything is spelled out in the written contract that he prepares for every case. Russ will tell you the good news and the bad news about your case. If after you and Russ have been able to fully evaluate your case, you decide the best option for you is a trial, Russ is ready and able to try your case.
Russ has tried dozens of jury trials in the last 20 years in courts throughout Central Texas. Contact Russ now to discuss your case. You’ll be glad you did.