What do I do if I have been accused of a sex crime?
A Mere Unfounded Accusation of Sexual Misconduct Can Severely Damage a Person's Life, Reputation and Livelihood
Don't waste time–the moment you discover you are under investigation for a sex crime anywhere in Williamson county, you need an attorney experienced in sex crimes defense like Georgetown, Tx attorney Russ Hunt Jr. A mere accusation, even if it is completely unfounded can ruin your reputation and permanently harm your professional and personal life. Often these cases are based solely on the unsubstantiated word of the alleged victim with no evidence that corroborates the accusation. Once the accuser's story has been told to investigators, the alleged victim will be under tremendous pressure to stick to their false allegations. When accusations are made publicly there is often a rush to judgment, and employers, spouses, friends, schools and even church members can become convinced of the guilt of a completely innocent person.
A Sex Crime Conviction Will Bring a Lifetime of Difficulty
In addition to the serious damage a simple accusation can do to your reputation, a conviction can mean prison time and a lifetime of registering as a sex offender. Convictions for sex crimes are extremely harsh in Texas and Federal courts, and even when the punishment has been served, the offender will likely be forced to report and register as a sex offender for the rest of his life, or at least for a decade following the completion of their sentence.
Have you been accused of a sex crime?
Williamson county criminal defense attorney Russ Hunt., Jr. is sensitive and dedicated when defending clients charged with any type of sexual assault or abuse. Russ has handled dozens of sex crime charges in Williamson county and Travis county, and many other locations throughout Central Texas, and he can act as a trusted and confidential advisor for an individual accused of a sexual offense in addition to helping minimize the gravity of the sexual offenses' consequences.
Beware of Investigators and Others who Want to Talk About Sex Crimes Allegations
In Williamson county one of the first things a criminal investigator will do when presented with an allegation of sexual misconduct is to contact the person accused. The investigator may accomplish this contact in various ways:
- A "Knock and Talk" where the investigator just shows up at an accused person's home or business, supposedly to discuss some information they have received
- A "controlled phone call" from the police station, where the accuser or other person will confront the accused with the charges to see whether the person denies or admits the charges
- An uncontrolled phone call where the police have the accuser or other person record phone calls with the accused in order to try and get him to incriminate himself
Any incriminating statements made voluntarily by a person not in custody will be used against them. This is true whether or not the person is aware that their statements are incriminating. How can a person not be aware they are incriminating themselves? Consider the following:
- Admitting to having been in a certain location at a certain time may foreclose a later realized alibi
- Admitting to using a certain electronic device may allow the police to pinpoint that device's location
- Admitting to having exclusive access to a certain device may enable police to seize that device and reconstruct the person's search history and determine exact timelines for when the person was at a certain place
- Admitting to engaging in seemingly innocent activity like "accidental" touches will sound sinister when coupled with the allegations of sex crimes
Investigators will always tell targets that they can "help themselves" by talking to the police. The truth is that they are usually only helping the police to build a case against them.
Russ Will Work to Protect You From Sex Crimes Charges
An allegation of a sexual offense must be defended like any other charge. Russ will work to ensure that all allegations and evidence are examined in full. He will work to get unfounded charges to be dropped. Even where the government can prove a case, Russ will work to see that the charges and punishments are reduced as much as possible. Do not let a sexual allegation ruin your life. Contact us at the Law Offices of Russell D. Hunt, Jr. in Georgetown, Tx today.
Russ Is Highly Experienced in the Defense and Trial of Sex Crimes
Russ has handled a wide range of sex crime cases including:
- Sexual assault
- Aggravated sexual assault
- Child sexual molestation
- Date rape
- Statutory rape
- Unlawful penetration or sodomy
- Unlawful possession, manufacture or distribution of child pornography
- Indecent exposure
- Public Indecency
- Lewd acts
- Failing to register as a sex offender
If you or someone you love has been charged with a sex crime, it is essential that you discuss the details of the case with an experienced defense attorney. Georgetown, Tx sex crimes defense lawyer Russ Hunt Jr. is dedicated to protecting the rights of his clients and advocating for them throughout the legal process.
Russ Hunt, Jr. is known for powerful, compassionate representation.
Schedule your free no-obligation case evaluation.
CLICK HERE TO CONTACT RUSS