Contact Russ Now for a Free Consultation (512) 930-0860


Carrying A Handgun After Completed Deferred Adjudication in Texas

Posted by Russell D. Hunt | Mar 08, 2018 | 8 Comments

Lots of folks in Texas have questions regarding the possession and carrying of handguns after they have completed a deferred adjudication probation. 

This is a confusing area and I received an email inquiry regarding this today.  Here's the question, which I will unpack and answer in the rest of this post:

I had a drug charge back in 2010 “felony” I was placed on deferred adjudication probation. I successfully completed it. I understand you have to wait 5 years after completing the probation to file a non-disclosure. [date removed] is when I will eligible for a non disclosure or seal. Is it possible If I can file a early non disclosure or do I have to wait till I hit my 5 year mark? The reason why I'm asking is because I want to be able to rent. Also why am I able to purchase a firearm handgun but I can't rent that doesn't make any sense? Another question, when I do file a non disclosure would I be able to purchase a CHL license to carry my firearm?

You can understand why a person would be confused about these issues:

  • Successfully completed "deferred adjudication" which means he hasn't been convicted and the case has been dismissed;
  • But still being discriminated against for housing;
  • Also wants to get a concealed handgun license (CHL) to stay legal and ensure he is following the law;
  • Wants to get an order of non-disclosure which will theoretically "seal" his arrest record;
  • Wonders if he can get an early non-disclosure without waiting 5 years;
  • Wonders if the non-disclosure will enable him to get a CHL which he might not be otherwise entitled to.

Whew!   There's a lot going on in that question.  Let's answer those questions and see how I can help. 

First, some straightforward answers to the legal questions he is asking:

  • There is no way to get out from under the 5 year waiting period, it is a statutory requirement.
  • The Texas handgun license is now called a "License to Carry" (LTC) rather than a "CHL"
  • Client won't be able to get a LTC until 10 years after the date he went on deferred.
  • The handgun license statute says that orders of deferred adjudication less than 10 years old are "convictions".
  • An order sealing deferred adjudication will not seal it from the LTC licensing board or other government agencies.

The reality of the situation is somewhat more nuanced than the "straightforward" answers above:

In Texas it is not illegal to possess a handgun in your home or vehicle as long as you comply with the statute and you aren't breaking any other laws.  Unless a person is prohibited from possessing a firearm, the "Unlawful Carrying Weapon" or UCW statute says it is illegal to carry a handgun on your person in only certain specific circumstances:

  • Not on person's own premises or premises under that person's control (for example, at home or the ranch)
  • Not inside of or directly en route to the person's car or boat

So what this means is that you can't just walk around with a handgun unless you have a carry license. 

BUT an unlicensed person CAN still carry a handgun if he's at home or the ranch,

or if he is carrying it in his car or boat UNLESS one or more of the following conditions apply:

  • The gun is in plain view (you have to put it away while it's in the car),
  • The person is engaged in some other criminal activity other than a class "C" traffic offense (guns and crime probably shouldn't mix), and
  • The person is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing firearms, and is not a member of a criminal street gang (no incompetent people, drug addicts, convicted felons or gang members).

The reason why a person who has successfully completed deferred adjudication for a felony offense can purchase a firearm is that person has not been convicted and is no longer "under indictment" for the felony offense. While a person is on deferred probation he is "under indictment" and federal law prohibits him from having or obtaining the firearm. 

As far as being able to rent, that is simply a matter of the landlord wanting to screen possible troublemakers and unfortunately he'll have to wait until he can seal his record.

Here are the bottom line answers, and when I can help him obtain a court-ordered nondisclosure:

  • Client can get a nondisclosure 5 years after probation has finished, but not sooner,
  • Client can get a LTC 10 years after probation order entered (may mean at the start of probation),
  • Client can in the meantime possess a handgun at home, his ranch, his car and his boat without a license, as long as he follows the law as outlined above.

About the Author

Russell D. Hunt

Attorney Russ Hunt, Jr. brings a unique and personalized approach to criminal defense, speaking and working one-on-one with each and every client. He strives to address the stresses and concerns the accused face, while diligently working toward best possible case outcomes. If you or a loved one c...


Christian Reply

Posted May 01, 2018 at 06:35:41

I was given deferred Adjudication probation back in 2006 which I successfully Completed in 2016 in Texas and was just wondering if I can just go in a pawn shop gun store and purchase a firearm w/0 any problem after my background is ran

Russell D. Hunt Reply

Posted Jul 27, 2018 at 13:13:17

As long as the judge has signed the order formally dismissing the charges you should be OK.

Giovanni Reply

Posted Oct 04, 2018 at 14:56:15

How can I get the papers saying that the judge signed off on the charges?

Russell D. Hunt Reply

Posted Oct 04, 2018 at 16:06:51

Go to the district clerk’s office and ask them for a copy.

Brandon Reply

Posted Nov 19, 2018 at 21:07:19

If I successfully completed deferred adjudication and subsequently got an order of non-disclosure approved in 2018, do I still have to wait the full 10 years after completing the deferred to obtain a Texas LTC? Or does the sealing of my record qualify me?

Cody Forehand Reply

Posted Nov 22, 2018 at 13:50:04

What about a deferred adjudication when it involves Misdemeanor family violence and the purchasing of rifles and a CHL in the state of Texas.

Russell D. Hunt Reply

Posted Nov 24, 2018 at 13:06:33

Family violence convictions, deferred adjudications and protective orders all carry federally mandated bars to firearm possession.

Russell D. Hunt Reply

Posted Nov 24, 2018 at 13:07:12

The sealing of your record does not apply to a LTC.

Leave a Comment

You Are Not Alone

Criminal charges bring some of the toughest stress you'll ever deal with. In difficult times--and especially against the tough state and federal prosecutors in Williamson and Travis counties--you'll need an aggressive and determined advocate by your side. An accessible and dedicated ally, Russ tirelessly fights for your best possible outcome.